We’ve all heard countless stories of photographers acting inappropriately. Especially male photographers. As such, many female models are reluctant to shoot with a male photographer.
Hopefully I can alleviate any concerns you might have with regards to working with me with my personal RULES OF CONDUCT.
- I try to meet with models in a comfortable, public location for coffee, snack or meal (my treat) before shoot day for introductions, get to know one another a bit, and answer any questions you might have about the shoot. If we cannot meet face to face, we can use Google Hangouts to accomplish the same thing.
- If you are not comfortable with a pose or position I ask you to do, we won’t do it. I might ask you what can we do differently so that you are comfortable with the pose or position, but ultimately, if you’re not comfortable in the pose or position, we won’t do it.
- I never touch a model. If there is a pose I want you to get into, I’ll demonstrate it for you or I’ll show you a photo. If something about a pose is not quite right, I’ll direct you until it is right. If you brought an escort, and it is alright with you, your escort can physically help position you. If none of that works, we’ll skip that pose and go to another one.
- I am happily married and have been since 1994. I’m not interested in anything more than photographing you, making you look and feel beautiful (or handsome), and having some fun while doing it.
- I encourage every model I work with, regardless of gender, to bring an escort. Your escort is welcome to be present during the entire photoshoot. Your escort can help with BTS photos/videos, positioning reflectors, deflectors, lighting, props and more if s/he wants. I don’t mind if you want to bring a makeup artist, wardrobe stylist and/or hair stylist to the shoot.
- I promise that I will remain professional and respectful at all times. I expect the same from my models. This is work, though I do want to have fun while we’re working.
- I may, with your approval, bring an assistant to help me with set up, tear down, position lights, props, backgrounds, hold reflectors and diffusers, take BTS photos and video, and other tasks.
As mentioned in rule #6, I expect models, assistants, escorts, makeup artists, hair stylists, wardrobe stylists, second shooters, and anyone else attending the photoshoot to act professionally, and be courteous and respectful of all in attendance. If anyone fails to do so, s/he will be asked to leave. If you provided a service, you will be paid on a prorated basis for the services delivered. You will not be paid for any service(s) not performed.
If you are a model and you break rule #6, I will remind you just once to adjust your behavior. If you do not comply, the photoshoot will end. I will pack up my equipment and leave. You will not be refunded for any time not used. You will receive as many photos as you are entitled based on the package you purchased OR as many photos as I have if we did not yet shoot enough photos to fulfill the package minimum. If I am paying you for the shoot, I will pay a pro-rated amount for the services provided less any deposit paid in advance.
Let me stress this: Having fun is perfectly fine. However, inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. I will not tolerate any of the following behavior directed toward me or any other people who came with me (2nd photographer, assistant, makeup artist, hair stylist, wardrobe specialist, nail technician, etc.) by you or anyone who came with you:
- Physical abuse, unwanted physical contact, sexual advances, inappropriate contact, etc.
- Aggressive or abusive behavior, such as shouting or personal insults, threatening language, etc.
- Discrimination or harassment when related to a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 (includes race, age, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.).
- Discrimination, harassment or otherwise disparaging remarks toward or about LGBTQ, disabled, handicapped, otherwise challenged individuals. (I am 100% in favor of equal opportunity and inclusion.)
- Comments/jokes or body language I or others feel are offensive or inappropriate.
- Willfully damaging another person”s property and theft.
NOTE: The above list is not all inclusive, but this list covers a large percentage of the behavior I will not tolerate.
I hope my RULES OF CONDUCT remove any concerns you might have about working with me. If you still have any lingering doubts, I encourage you to contact any of the models I’ve worked with.