We’ve all heard countless stories of photographers improper conduct. Especially male photographers. As such, many female models are reluctant to shoot with a male photographer.
Hopefully I can ease any concerns you might have with regards to working with me with my personal RULES OF CONDUCT.
My Rules Of Conduct
- I like to meet with models in a comfortable, public location for coffee, snack or meal (my treat) before shoot day for introductions. It helps reduce the awkwardness at the beginning of the photo shoot. If we cannot meet face to face, we can do an online video chat.
- If you are not comfortable with a pose or position I ask you to try because you feel it’s too provocative or you feel too vulnerable, say something. We can adjust the pose so that you are comfortable with it.
- If there is a pose I want you to get into, I’ll demonstrate it for you or show you a photo. If something about a pose is not quite right, I’ll coach you. I may ask if it is okay with you if I touch you to help you get into a pose, adjust your hair, earrings, clothing, etc. You can say no. I will not be offended. If you brought an escort, your escort can do this instead of me.
- I am happily married and have been since 1994. I’m not interested in anything more than photographing you, making you look and feel beautiful (or handsome), and having some fun while doing it.
- I urge every model I work with to bring an escort. Your escort is welcome to be present during the entire photo shoot. Your escort can help with some behind the scenes aspects of the shoot if s/he wants.
- I will remain professional and respectful. I expect the same from my models. This is work, fun work, yes, but work nonetheless.
- With your approval, I may bring an assistant to help me with set up, tear down, position lights, props, backgrounds, hold reflectors and diffusers, take BTS photos and video, and other tasks.
Breaking the Rules of Conduct
As mentioned in rule #6, I expect anyone present at the photo shoot to act professionally, and be courteous and respectful of all in attendance. If anyone fails to do so, s/he will be asked to leave. If you provided a service, you will be paid on a prorated basis for the services delivered. You will not be paid for any service(s) not performed.
If you are a model and you break rule #6, I will remind you once to adjust your behavior. If you do not comply, the photo shoot will end. There are no refunds for any time not used. You will receive as many photos as you are entitled based on the package you purchased OR as many photos as I have if there are not enough photos to fulfill the package minimum. Retouching will not be done, if that is part of the package. If I am paying you for the shoot, I will pay a pro-rated amount for the services provided less any deposit paid in advance.
If, somehow, I do or say something that offends you, you can end the photo shoot. I will refund you for any unused part of the photo shoot. You will receive all photos you paid for OR as many as I have if there are not enough photos to fulfill your package minimum. If I am paying you to model for me, you will be paid in full.
Examples of Inappropriate Behavior
Let me stress this: Having fun is perfectly fine. However, inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Any of the following behavior directed toward me or any other people who came with me (2nd photographer, assistant, makeup artist, hair stylist, wardrobe specialist, nail technician, etc.) by you or anyone who came with you is not tolerated:
- Physical abuse, unwanted physical contact, sexual advances, inappropriate contact, etc.
- Aggressive or abusive behavior, such as shouting or personal insults, threatening language, etc.
- Discrimination or harassment when related to a protected characteristic under the Equality Act of 2010 (includes race, age, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.).
- Discrimination, harassment or otherwise disparaging remarks toward or about LGBTQ, disabled, handicapped, otherwise challenged people.
- Comments/jokes or body language I or others feel are offensive or inappropriate.
- Willfully damaging another person’s property and theft.
NOTE: The above list is not all-inclusive, but this list covers a large percentage of the behavior I will not tolerate.
I hope my RULES OF CONDUCT remove any concerns you might have about working with me. If you still have any lingering doubts, I recommend that you contact any of the models I’ve worked with.