We’ve all heard countless stories of photographers acting inappropriately. Especially male photographers. As such, many female models are reluctant to shoot with a male photographer.
Hopefully I can alleviate any concerns you might have with regards to working with me with my personal RULES OF CONDUCT.
- I try to meet with models in a comfortable, public location for coffee, snack or meal (my treat) before shoot day for introductions, get to know one another a bit, and answer any questions you might have about the shoot. If we cannot meet face to face, we can do a Skype or Google Hangouts video chat to accomplish the same thing.
- If you are not comfortable with a pose or position I ask you to do, we won’t do it. I might ask you what can we do differently so that you are comfortable with the pose or position, but ultimately, if you’re not comfortable in the pose or position, we won’t do it.
- I never touch a model. If there is a pose I want you to get into, I’ll demonstrate it for you or I’ll show you a photo. If something about a pose is not quite right, I’ll direct you until it is right. If you brought an escort, and it is alright with you, the escort can physically help position you. If none of that works, we’ll skip that pose and go to another one.
- I am happily married and have been since 1994. I’m not interested in anything more than photographing you, creating photographic magic with you, making you look and feel beautiful, and having some fun while doing it.
- I encourage every model I work with, regardless of gender, to bring an escort. Your escort is welcome to be present during the entire photoshoot. If your escort doesn’t mind, I may ask him/her to help with BTS photos/videos, positioning reflectors, deflectors, lighting, props and more. I don’t mind if you want to bring a makeup artist, wardrobe stylist and/or hair stylist to the shoot.
- I promise that I will remain professional and respectful at all times. I expect the same from my models. This is work, though I do want to have fun while we’re working.
As mentioned in rule #6, I expect models, assistants, escorts, makeup artists, hair stylists, wardrobe stylists, second shooters, and anyone else attending the photoshoot to act professionally, and be courteous and respectful of all in attendance. If anyone fails to do so, s/he will be asked to leave. If you provided a service, you will be paid on a prorated bases for the services delivered. You will not be paid for any service(s) not performed.
If you are a model and you break rule #6, I will remind you once to adjust your behavior. If you do not comply, the photoshoot will end. I will pack up my equipment and leave. You are still obligated to pay the remaining photoshoot fee before I depart. If you pay the remaining fee, you will receive as many photos as you are entitled based on the package you purchased OR as many photos as I have if we did not yet shoot enough photos to fulfill the package minimum. If you do not pay the remaining photoshoot fee, you forfeit any and all photographs due to you, AND our working relationship will be terminated indefinitely.
If I am paying you for the shoot, I will pay a pro-rated amount for the services provided less any deposit paid in advance.
Let me stress this: Having fun is perfectly fine. However, inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Physical abuse, unwanted physical contact, sexual advances, inappropriate contact, etc.
- Aggressive or abusive behavior, such as shouting or personal insults, threatening language, etc.
- Discrimination or harassment when related to a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 (includes race, age, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.)
- Offensive comments/jokes or body language
- Willfully damaging another persons property and theft.
- Continual unwanted invasion of another’s personal space
I hope my RULES OF CONDUCT remove any concerns you might have about working with me. If you still have any lingering doubts, I encourage you to contact any of the models I’ve worked with. Each of them has a project page here and you can contact them for a referral through their Instagram accounts.